The Monbukagakusho MEXT scholarship has been helping over 10,000 students annually to study the courses of their choice by providing a Fully Funded Scholarship for the students.
The Monbukagakusho MEXT scholarship is available for applicants pursing an Undergraduate, Master, Training/ Ph.D./Doctoral Degree from Japanese Universities. Lucky enough for international students, the Japanese government are willing to cover all the expenses during the scholarship period.
The MEXT Japanese Government Scholarship is open to all the participants from Asia, Pacific, Latin America, North America and the Caribbean, Europe, Africa, Middle East who have diplomatic relations with Japan. So what are you waiting for?
This blog post would give you all the necessary information and application processes for the Monbukagakusho MEXT scholarship in 2022.
What is Monbukagakusho MEXT scholarship?
The Monbukagakusho MEXT scholarship is a Fully Funded Scholarship sponsored by the Japanese government. This scholarship is aimed at helping international students who can’t afford to finance their education to study abroad.
The MEXT Scholarship stands for “The Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology Scholarship” and is also known as “Monbukagakusho.” The scholarship has been ongoing for years, and it annually releases application to 9,500 students willing to study abroad.
Benefits of Monbukagakusho MEXT scholarship
Unlike some other scholarships, the MEXT Japanese Government Scholarship offers a wide variety of benefits to successfully applicants. These benefits do not affect the country or ethnic background of the applicant. Below are the benefits of the MEXT scholarship.
- Allowances: the scholarship covers all single expenses incurred by the applicant during the course of the scholarship. Examples of such expenses include; Monthly Stipend Allowance, Preparatory Allowance, among others.
- Travel expenses: the Japanese Government will cover the transportation to Japan. Each awarded applicant will be booked an Economy-class Airline ticket to Japan.
- Education: the Japanese government would also sponsor the fees for the Entrance Examination, and Tuition Fee at Universities.
- Accommodations: the international students would be provided a well-conducive environment to live.
Who is Eligible for MEXT scholarship?
To be eligible for the scholarship, each applicant must fulfil the following requirements:
- Fluent in English Language
- Applicants must have the nationality of a country that has diplomatic relations with Japan.
- Applicants with a Japanese nationality as of the time of application are not eligible.
Requirements for Monbukagakusho MEXT scholarship
Requirements for Undergraduate Students
Applicants need to be as a minimum 17 and below 25 years of age and have finished 12 years of college training or have finished publications in a college corresponding to an excessive college.
Requirements for Masters / PhD Students
Applicants need to be below 35 years of age and a university graduate (consists of potential graduates). Or you need to have finished sixteen years or 18 years of training.
Requirements for Teacher training students
Applicants have to be beneath neath 35 years of age and a graduate of a university or teacher training college. You have to have as a minimum 5 years of lively experience as a teacher in a primary, secondary or teacher training college in your country.
Requirements for Japanese Study Students
Applicants have to be from 18 to 30 years old. Applicants have to be enrolled as undergraduate students in colleges or faculties which major in Japanese language or Japanese tradition in a college outdoor Japan at the time while they arrive to Japan and have to be enrolled within side the domestic group on the time once they go back to their domestic countries.
Courses Eligible for MEXT Scholarship grant
The Japanese government offer a wide variety of courses to study. It offers from Social Science to Engineering, Medical to Health, Arts, Humanities Etc. There are No Academic Fields Restrictions.
Duration of the MEXT Scholarship 2022
- Undergraduate: 4-5 Years
- Masters: 2-3 Years
- PhD: 3-4 Years
Suggested read: How to Write a Study Plan for Master Degree in Korea
How to Apply for Monbukagakusho MEXT scholarship?
To apply for MEXT scholarship, an interested applicant should carefully follow the listed steps below to avoid any error during the application process.
- Check for your country’s Japanese embassy here.
- Visit the website of Japanese Embassy of your country. Search for the Education/ Scholarship icon, then click MEXT scholarship.
- Download the MEXT Scholarship form to your mobile device or computer, then fill out the form.
- After filling the form, submit it alongside the required documents to your country’s Japanese embassy.
- The Japanese government will conduct a written test for successful applications. Check out some Sample Written Test and Answers Here.
- After the test, interviews of the applicants will be conducted.
- Lastly, the successful applicants will be informed via email or embassy website.
Required Documents for Application
There are certain necessary documents required for the MEXT Scholarship application which are as follows:
- MEXT Scholarship Application form
- The highest degree verified with official stamps:
- Bachelors program applicants: 12 Years of Education
- Master’s program applicants: Bachelor’s degree
- Ph.D. program applicants: Master’s degree
- Note: The degree has to be in written in English, if not, then a notarized copy of an English translation is required.
- The highest degree Transcript verified with official stamps. (Including Grading system):
- Bachelors program applicants: 12 Years of EducationMaster’s program applicants: Bachelor’s degree Transcripts
- Ph.D. program applicants: Master’s degree Transcripts
- Note: The diploma has to be written in English, if not, then a notarized copy of a translation in English is required.
- Two recommendation letters: The letters of recommendation should be written by the applicant’s teachers/advisors/employers (who’re capable to compare your educational overall performance and studies potential) in both English. (for research students).
- Curriculum Vitae (CV) (for research students)
- Passport Scan (if available at the time of application)
- English Language Proficiency Document: For students whose language institute was in English can Submit English Proficiency Certificate from their Home University, and they are excluded from Language Test.
- Study plan: The study plan is written in English. Basic content shall include education/ research Background, motivation of application, and prospective study at APU. (for research students)
- Academic thesis or relevant publications (for research students)
Application Deadline for MEXT Scholarship
The application deadline for Monbukagakusho MEXT scholarship is on the 31st of January. However, application dates vary for international students depending on your country of origin. Visit their official website to find out.
For more inquiries, visit their official website here.
The MEXT Scholarship is an initiative of the Japanese government to help students acquire a proper education for absolutely free. The scholarship has rewarded thousands of international students the opportunity to study abroad. This year, the Japanese government is releasing a total of 9,500 scholarships to both international and local students.
Before you consider applying, ensure your country is in a diplomatic relationship with Japan. Once this is confirmed, you are one step away from studying your dream course.
Applying for MEXT Scholarship hasn’t been challenging and the possibility of winning the scholarship is high. All you need to do is take action by following the aforementioned steps.
Most scholarships are rewarded to the first set of candidates who applied for it. To be among these early birds, then subscribe to my blog post for future Scholarship updates. The most interesting part is that, all information about scholarship shared to our subscribers are totally free. Don’t forget to leave your questions below for quick response.