SIT Study Abroad Scholarship – Apply Now
College students seeking for a study abroad scholarship can consider applying for the SIT (School For International Training) scholarship. The SIT scholarship has sponsored thousands of students to study abroad, amounting to over $1.3 million in scholarships since the past 3 years.
SIT offers a free scholarship to study abroad for undergraduates. Regardless of your country, you can apply for any of the available SIT programs and get awarded over $5,000 per semester depending on your program and duration of study.
About School For International Training
School For International Training, SIT is a leader in immersive, field-based study abroad programs for undergraduates. It was founded in 1932 with the aim of preparing students to be interculturally effective leaders, professionals, and citizens.
SIT is a nonprofit organization that operates in more than 150 countries to enhance the capacity and commitment of individuals, institutions, and communities to create a more peaceful and just world through education, sustainable development, and exchange.
The organization is providing scholarship opportunities to undergraduates in Africa, Asia and the Pacific, Europe, Latin America, and the Middle East. They are willing to offer programs for undergraduate students in the listed regions.
In SIT, students stand to gain from the expertise, mentorship, networks, and support of their faculty and staffs who live and work around the world.
The School for International Training also offers instruction in more than 25 languages, including Icelandic, Asante Twi, Bahasa Indonesia, and isiZulu in addition to French, Chinese, Dutch, and Arabic. Students from foreign countries don’t have to worry about learning the native language.
SIT provides the students everything they need for an excellent education for free. This includes accommodation, tuition fees, transportation amongst others.
Objectives of SIT
- To prepare students to be interculturally effective leaders, professionals, and citizens.
- To promote a worldwide network of individuals and organizations committed to responsible global citizenship.
- To establish a field based academic program for Undergraduates, Postgraduate (master and PhD).
- To provide a neutral ground for free education irrespective of tribe or origin.
- To provide students opportunities to examine a range of critical global issues through multiple prisms.
Programs offered by SIT
SIT Scholarship for International students offers more than 80 summer and semester programs in 40 countries worldwide. They also include comparative programs in multiple countries.
International students are given the opportunity to choose their format, theme, language and duration, with options for undergraduate research and internships. The SIT programs are interdisciplinary and open to a wide range of majors.
Some programs include an all expense paid excursions to different countries/continent in the world.
For students offering programs in Cameroon, Mongolia & Siberia, and Jordan are entitled to excursions to Europe. Also, students offering programs in the Netherlands and Switzerland are entitled to excursions to North Africa and the Middle East. Learn more about the SIT Scholarship programs.
SIT Study Abroad short-term programs
Unfortunately, SIT scholarships are not available for online courses or virtual internships. Interested students are required to physically attend their respective programs.
Benefits of SIT Scholarship for International students
SIT study abroad scholarships offers students a variety of benefits, ranging from their duration and program of study.
The organization also offers international students the award-winning Pell Grant Match. Each semester, students are awarded from $500 to $5,000 in scholarships. While in summer, students get awarded from $500 to $3,000.
SIT also provides alternative resources for the finance of international students, including:
- Private foundations and organizations.
- Personal and family funds.
- SIT Study Abroad scholarships and grants.
- Financial aid from their home colleges and universities.
Eligibility criteria for SIT Study Abroad Scholarship
The SIT study abroad scholarships are eligible to students who possess the following:
- A student enrolled in an accredited university or college.
- A minimum of 2.5 Grade Point Average (GPA).
- Must have completed at least one year of college-level coursework at the time of application, and preferably two years for IHP/Comparative programs. (Exceptions: only one semester of college coursework is required for full-length summer programs.)
- Meet the necessary requirements for chosen programs. This requirement differs, depending on your selected program.
Luckily, if your GPA falls below the requirements, but you have proof of good academic records, SIT requires you apply for the scholarship. However, you must submit an additional statement of context with their official transcripts.
How to apply for SIT Study Abroad Scholarship
Interested students are requested to commence their application online at the School For International Training (SIT) website.
You will be prompted to select your interest in SIT need-based scholarships when asked in the drop-down section of your SIT Study Abroad program application.
After completing your application, it will be reviewed by the scholarship committee and feedback will be sent to you if selected. Ensure you submit all the required documents and information upon application.
Your financial aid from your home country or university may be transferrable to pay some or all of the costs associated with your SIT Study Abroad program.
- When you commence your online application, you will be asked to provide the name and email address of a financial aid counselor at your home institution, or the general email address of your financial aid office. The organization requires you to provide information about your financial aid counselor because it allows SIT to consider any financial aid that may be available from your home institution when reviewing your scholarship application.
- Fill SIT’s school code (008860) to your FAFSA form.
- Once SIT has your FAFSA and the financial aid information from your home institution, your application is completed.
- Confirm receipt of all required financial aid information with the SIT Study Abroad Scholarship Office. ([email protected] or 802.258.3503).
Note: If you do not receive an award decision notification from SIT before the billing due date, please know that your scholarship application was not complete.
SIT Selection Process
The scholarship committee selects students who will be the best possible match for a program. The selection is based on few criterions which includes: a strong academic reference, a good consistent academic record, clear motivation to participate fully, solid reasoning for their program choice, and an understanding of the program model.
SIT study abroad scholarship is quite competitive, but when you do the right thing, expect a positive result.
Undergraduate students should seek their college or university study abroad advisors, academic advisors, and faculty to assist in program selection and preparation.
SIT Study Abroad Application form
Download the application form here
Commence your online Apply Now
Visit Official website of School For International Training (SIT).
Important: Read terms and conditions before applying.
Some Documents required for a Study Abroad Scholarship
To apply for a study abroad scholarship, there are certain documents that you must possess before commencing your application. However, some of these documents may be neglected depending on the type of scholarship.
Important Scholarship documents you should have:
- Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) form.
- Application form.
- Letter of recommendation.
- Motivation letter.
- Study plan.
- Application cover letter.
- Academic transcripts.
- Medical records.
- Family financial statement/tax returns.
- Proof of Citizenship.
Study abroad Scholarships Spring
SIT Scholarship offers spring Scholarship to international students to study from any of the available SIT accredited programs. The spring scholarship closes 1st November.
Candidates are advised to commence application before the deadline. Any application submitted after the deadline will be considered void.
Study abroad Scholarships Summer
SIT also offers a study abroad summer scholarship to international students. There are over 80 courses/programs to select. Interested candidates are advised to commence their applications before the deadline date on 1st, April.
SIT Scholarship Deadline
The School For International Training (SIT), has specific dates for deadline depending on the programs.
Summer programs ends, 1st April.
Fall programs ends, 15th May.
Spring programs ends, 1st November.
SIT Admission Confirmation
Once you have successfully been given an admission to a SIT Study Abroad program, you must complete the majority of your confirmation materials within two weeks of receiving email notification of an admission offer to guarantee your place in your selected program.
Depending on your program, you must complete your confirmation materials and return to SIT to confirm your offer of admission. These confirmation materials will include:
- Travel documents and identifications.
- Statement of responsibility signed by appropriate authority.
- Medical records
- Proof you have had a physical exam within the past 12 months. If not, then a scheduled appointment for a physical examination has to be done.
- Housing information (varies with program).
- Documents for your chosen program.
You will be prompted to make a payment deposit, depending on the billing relationship between SIT and your home college or university. A fee ranging from $400 to $2,500 (depending on the program) will be paid to confirm your space. This payment is just like an acceptance fee to confirm you have accepted the admission. Payment can be made directly to the SIT Student Accounts Office.
Aside confirmation payment, you will need to submit your health form to the Office of Student Health if requested. Then you may also be requested to submit your financial aid materials to the Office of Student Accounts based on your school’s billing agreement or if you are transferring federal or institutional aid to cover billed SIT program costs.
The School For International Training is an opportunity for international students anywhere in the world to have a proper education without having to worry about finance.
The SIT organization has made learning much easier for the underprivileged students. We all deserve a chance to make a difference in the world, and getting educated is our best shot in making that difference. I believe everyone should be given a chance.
Your study abroad dream is one step away. Do the right thing by getting started. Scholarships are here to help. Why not take advantage?
Commence your application for a study abroad program now!
Jasso Scholarship: Short-term Study in Japan
Easy Guide to Write a Scholarship Motivation Letter
KAIST Undergraduate Scholarship in South Korea