Loran Scholar’s Foundation is providing scholarships to outstanding High school and Cegep students in Canada. This program (Loran Scholarship) is hosted annually for students who demonstrate good character, possess leadership potential, and are committed to make a positive impact in the society.
This year, Loran Foundation is budgeting to sponsor 36 students on a fully funded scholarship worth $100,000 each. The recipients will receive their award in installments till they graduate from the university.
In addition, the foundation is granting over 120 finalists the sum of $5,000 or $2,000 according to their province and territory. This implies that, even if you don’t make the list of 36 winners, you still stand a chance of winning a scholarship.
Don’t get too excited because Loran scholarship is highly competitive. However, if you follow the guidelines closely, you should be on the winning side. Keep reading to get every vital information to make your application process a success.
About Loran Scholars Foundation
Loran Scholars Foundation was established in 1988 in Toronto by Robert Cluett. It is considered as a national charitable organization helping students by awarding them university scholarships.
The organization has been actively awarding scholarships since 1990 and thousands of students have benefitted from the scholarship program.
The Charity Foundation partners with 25 universities in Canada. To become a Loran scholar, you must be planning to enroll in one of their partner universities.
This scholarship is funded by goodwill individuals, companies and foundations sharing the same ideology of the Loran Foundation by investing in the young minds.
List of Loran Scholarship Universities
Only students planning to enroll in the following universities are eligible to become a Loran Scholar. These universities assist in the selection process and also provide a staff as a means of contact to the scholars.
- Dalhousie University
- Memorial University
- Mount Allison University
- University of King’s College
- University of New Brunswick
- McGill University
- Université Laval
- Université de Montréal
- Université de Sherbrooke
- McMaster University
- Queen’s University
- Toronto Metropolitan University
- University of Guelph
- University of Ottawa
- University of Toronto
- University of Waterloo
- Western University
- York University
- University of Alberta
- University of Calgary
- University of Manitoba
- University of Saskatchewan
- Simon Fraser University
- University of British Columbia
- University of Victoria.
Programs to Study
Once enrolled in any of the approved universities, you can choose to study any major/field of your choice. The foundation is more concerned that you enroll in their partner university for easy access and communication.
Who can apply for this Scholarship
Loran scholarship is open to graduating high school and Cegep students in Canada. You must be academically sound, of good behavior, possess leadership quality and be ready to enroll in a university by September 2023. Only students schooling in Canada are eligible for this scholarship.
Loran Scholarship Eligibility
To participate and stand a chance to win a $100,000 scholarship, You must fulfil all requirements as provided below.
For High School students
- Applicant must be entering the university as a freshman by September 2023.
- You must possess a minimum cumulative average of at least 85%.
- Must be a citizen of Canada or hold a permanent resident.
- Must be within the age range of 15 – 21 years.
For Cegep students
- You must be a citizen of Canada or hold a permanent resident status.
- Applicant must be in his/her final year of Cegep before entering the university.
- Must possess an R score of at least 29.
- You must be within the age range of 15 – 21 years.
The Loran scholarship is renewable and valid for four years only. Recipients will be entitled to receive the following during their duration of study:
- $10,000 annual living allowances.
- $10,000 annual tuition waiver from one of the 25 partner universities.
- Access to one-on-one mentorship from a Canadian leader.
- Yearly retreats and scholar gatherings.
- Lifetime membership in a community of values-driven individuals.
- $14,000 funding for summer work experiences in three different sectors.
- An orientation expedition through Algonquin Park.
- $5,000 or $2,000 to over 120 finalists according to province and territory.
How to apply for Loran Scholarship
Follow the steps below to apply:
- Visit Loran scholarship website (link below).
- Change the language to your preference before proceeding to fill in your bio data.
- Fill in your personal information (legal name, school, etc.).
- Attach copies of the required documents (e.g. academic transcripts, proof of citizenship, reference letters, etc).
- Mention 5 tasks you’ve completed for more information about you.
- Write short essays on the given topics
- Answer every other questions.
- Review your application.
- Submit your application.
- Await response from Loran Foundation if shortlisted.
- Prepare for your interview and scheduled meetings.
- Describe your most significant volunteer contribution. Why did you do it? How did it impact others?
- Describe a time you challenged yourself by going outside your comfort zone. What was the risk? Was it worth it?
- Describe a time when you took the initiative to address an unmet need at school or in the community. What was the need? What did you do? What was the impact?
Note: make sure you answer all the essay questions appropriately. Use clear grammar, be precise and proofread to avoid errors.
Loran Foundation offers the most comprehensive and thorough scholarship selection process in Canada. All applicants will undergo a virtual interview, after which, only selected finalists will participate in national interviews.
These interviews are an opportunity for students to reflect on their motivations and to imagine the lives they want to live. It is also an avenue to meet new people and build connections, even if you eventually don’t get selected for the award.
This year, shortlisted applicants will be asked to submit a video supplemental in late October. Applicants selected as semi-finalists will be notified in November and invited to participate in online interviews.
Loran Scholarship winners
Final winners of the scholarship will be officially announced on Loran’s Website. They will also be given the opportunity to share their stories, and aspirations in life to motivate incoming applicants.
Loran Scholarship Reference letter
Your reference letter must be from a teacher, a member of the community or someone else who is familiar with your activities. It is advisable to obtain a reference letter from a non-family member. After your application alongside your letter has been submitted, your referee will receive a reference request email from [email protected].
Loran Scholarship Deadline
All applications for Loran scholarship are processed by September/October annually. Shortlisted candidates will then be notified at least one week before their semi-final interview date.
For inquiries concerning your scholarship application, do not hesitate to contact Loran support via [email protected].
Frequently Asked Questions
How to win the Loran scholarship?
If you want to stand a chance to win, just be yourself and be genuine about your application. Assuming you make it to the interview, try your very best to be yourself. The committee called you because they are interested in you. Don’t feel limited to express yourself. Make them believe in you.
Also focus on writing wonderful essays about leadership/community service projects you’ve accomplished. Be detailed as possible. Every piece of information is worthy.
How much is Loran provincial award?
Semi-finalists will receive a $2,000 scholarship award offered by regional committees. These award is available for only 50 students who were not asked to attend the national selections.
When will I receive a notification on my application?
Once your application has been submitted, you will receive a confirmation email. Bear in mind that only semi-finalists will get notified on their status for further processing and interviews.
Related Scholarships in Canada
- Basant Motors Scholarship
- Louise McKinney Scholarship program 2023
- Jason Lang Scholarship 2022-2023
- McCall MacBain Scholarship 2023
Stay updated on future Scholarship opportunities by subscribing to our newsletter and post notifications.