SME Education Foundation Scholarships
The Society of Manufacturing Engineering, SME is offer two categories of scholarships through its Education Foundation to high school seniors and undergraduates studying in the United States and Canada.
These scholarships are annual, and it is available for only SME members.
Both scholarships are worth more than $100,000. They are issued out every year to engineering students with outstanding academic performances.
Keep reading to know every information you need to have a successful application and possible selection. For non-engineering undergraduate students, checkout some available scholarship opportunities for you, click here.
1. SME Education Foundation Family Scholarship
This is one of the most valued and prestigious scholarship offered by SME Education Foundation. Students selected for this scholarship are fully sponsored throughout their program of study.
The SME family scholarship comes with different grand prizes. One lucky student gets a $40,000 scholarship award, while three (3) other students gets a $20,000 scholarship award valid till the end of their bachelor’s program. In total, the SME Education Foundation Family Scholarship is worth $100,000.
Before you get too excited, you must pass the following requirements to be considered for the SME Family Scholarship.
- You must be an undergraduate or a graduating from high school senior with up to 30 credit hours completed.
- Applicant must be schooling in the United States or Canada.
- You must have at least a parent or grandparent who has been a member of SME for the last two years.
- Must be studying manufacturing engineering, manufacturing engineering technology, or an engineering course related to manufacturing engineering.
- Applicant must be enrolled in a full-time undergraduate program at an accredited institution located in U.S. or Canada.
- You must also reside in U.S. or Canada.
- Applicant must possess a minimum high school GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale.
- You must have a minimum SAT score of 1000 and/or ACT score of 21.
How to apply
Applications are done online via the SME scholarship portal. To apply, you need to create an account on SME. If you already have an account, you can log in immediately.
Once you have logged into the student’s portal, you can commence your scholarship application. Ensure you provide all the necessary information and supporting documents, before you submit your application.
Be aware that your login details never expires. If you have an already existing account on SME, you don’t need to create another one as it is still considered valid.
Important Notice: if the scholarship application is closed for the academic session 2022-2023, do not panic, it will be reopened for application before Fall. Interested applicants should create an SME account to get notified when the next scholarship application commences.
2. SME Education Foundation Director’s Scholarship
This scholarship is sponsoring undergraduate students pursuing a 4-year degree program in manufacturing engineering or related field. It is funded by SME and SME Education Foundation Board of Directors, SME Past Presidents and the Foundation Emeriti.
It is an exclusive scholarship open to engineering students in U.S. and Canada who are verified members of SME Professional or Student chapter.
The requirements for SME Directors Scholarship is similar to that of the Family Scholarship. You are required to pass all the criteria before applying, as it increases your chances of selection.
- You must be schooling in the United States or Canada.
- Applicant must be a full-time undergraduate student studying manufacturing engineering or a related field.
- You must demonstrate leadership skills.
- Applicant must have completed at least 30 college credit hours.
- You must possess at least a grade point average (GPA) of 3.5 on a 4.0 scale.
- Applicant must be passionate about seeking a career in manufacturing.
How to apply
The application for SME Director’s Scholarship follows the same process with SME Family Scholarship. However, there may be additional information required for you to provide while applying for the Director’s Scholarship.
SME Directors Scholarship link
Required Documents for Application
Both scholarships require students to provide their personal information alongside supporting documents. Every applicant must make available the following documents during application.
- Most recent academic transcripts from your high school or college.
- Recommendation letters (reference from STEM instructors are more favorable).
- A student statement. This should include information why you chose your major; your education and career objectives, and how this scholarship will help you achieve your objectives.
- Other documents.
SME Scholarships Past Winners
The winners of SME Education Foundation Scholarships are given the opportunity to tell their success stories as a motivation for incoming applicants. This foundation has really helped lots of engineering students get the best educational experience for at little to no cost.
To increase your chances of winning any of the available SME Education Foundation Scholarships, you have to apply the following tips. Although, these application tips does not guarantee you would get selected. It is just an acceptable practice to keep you on the right path.
1. Early Application
Applying early gives you a good advantage of missing the deadlines. When you apply early, you are relaxed and convinced that your application was successful. This gives you enough confidence that your application will be reviewed.
2. Carefully read the Scholarship terms and requirements
It is important you read and understand what the scholarship requires before you apply. This will guide and save your time. Always read through and be sure your major is accepted before proceeding to apply.
3. Resume construction
Your resume is very vital for application. It should include a detailed explanation of your education, extracurricular activities, and accomplishments. You don’t have to write a lengthy resume without hitting the main focus. 1 to 2 pages is well enough for your resume. Learn how to write a resume.
4. Ensure you submit clear copies of your supporting materials
Never make the mistake of not uploading the right documents. Or uploading blurred copies of your documents. It could also be omitting to submit a document. Or submitting your documents in a wrong format. Your application stands out when you adhere to the scholarship instructions.
5. Be detailed as possible
Every piece of information required should be answered as detailed as possible. Even if the question is optional, provided you have an answer, fill it in. By doing so, you are giving the selection committee enough information to be convinced you deserve the SME Education Foundation Scholarship.
6. Review before you submit your application
This is the final stage of your application. Always review for corrections before you submit. Check for spellings and grammatical errors, then correct them.
SME Education Foundation Scholarships Sponsors
There are individual donors, estate donors, corporate donors and chapter donors for the SME scholarships. These donors contribute annually to support graduating high school seniors, undergraduates and graduate students pursuing two-year, four-year or advanced degrees in manufacturing or engineering.
Before you leave, here are more scholarship opportunities to try out. Open to domestic and international students.
- Curtin University Scholarships
- USQ Scholarships for International Students
- Jimmy Rane Foundation Scholarship
Engineering students are laborers of the world. They are considered problem solvers because they believe every problem in the world today has a solution. The stress they undergo in the university is overwhelming. This is a good reason why, as an engineering student, a scholarship will help you immensely.
Take advantage of the SME Education Foundation Scholarships today. You never know what life has in store for you after graduation.
Stay updated on future Scholarship opportunities by subscribing to our newsletter and post notifications.