Louise McKinney Scholarship is an annual scholarship program that recognizes and financially rewards students for their academic achievements while encouraging them to continue in their undergraduate or professional program of study.
This scholarship awards only Alberta post-secondary graduates seeking to pursue a higher education in any school of their choice located in Canada.
Everything you need to know about Louise McKinney Scholarship program will be explained in details on this blog post. For Canadians living in Alberta, consider this scholarship as an opportunity to further your education.
Meanwhile, International students seeking to study abroad can check out some easy to apply online opportunities.
Who is Louise McKinney?
Born on 22 September 1868 and died 10 July 1931, Louise McKinney was a Canadian politician, temperance advocate, and women’s rights activist. She was the first ever woman to be elected into the Legislative Assembly of Alberta, and also the first woman to serve in a legislature in the British Empire.
About Louise McKinney Scholarship Program
This program was established in memory of Louise McKinney, whose influence impacted positively on the government and the people. To keep her legacy alive, students in Alberta are given financial support in honor of her name.
Over 1,450 students are budgeted to receive the L. McKinney Scholarship this year, but don’t get too excited. Not all students who applies get selected for the award. This makes it a quite competitive scholarship.
Funding for this scholarship program is covered by the Government of Alberta through Alberta Advanced Education and are administered by the University of Alberta in affiliation with Alberta Student Aid.
Programs to Study
Incoming freshmen are free to choose any field of study inasmuch as your chosen school is located in Canada. While selecting your course of study, make sure you choose a full-time program. L. McKinney Scholarship will only award applicants enrolled in a full degree program.
Who can apply for this Scholarship
The Louise McKinney Scholarship is open to Alberta post-secondary graduates pursing an undergraduate or a professional program. It is strictly reserved for Canadians and permanent Alberta residents.
Louise McKinney Scholarship Eligibility
To increase your chances of getting awarded, you must pass the following requirements.
- You must be a Canadian or hold a permanent resident in Canada, or be a protected person.
- Must be an Alberta resident.
- You must be enrolled in a full-time undergraduate program at a publicly funded post-secondary institution in Alberta.
- Must pass all the academic requirements according to your post-secondary grading system (at least a minimum of 3.2 GPA).
- Applicant must not be a recipient of Jason Lang scholarship within the same academic year.
- You must not be in a graduate program (i.e master’s/PhD or equivalent).
- Must not be under apprenticeship or upgrading.
- Make ready your Alberta Student Number (ASN). If you do not know your ASN, or do not have an ASN: Visit learnerregistry.ae.alberta.ca for instructions.
Note: you are an Alberta resident if you have lived in the province for 12 consecutive months. Or your parents/legal guardian have lived in the region for 12 consecutive months. Or your spouse have resided in the region for 12 consecutive months.
The Louise McKinney Scholarship is valued at $2,500. The award will be paid directly to the student’s aid account as provided during application. Recipients are allowed to apply for this scholarship a maximum of three times.
Selection is done on several factors. However, the most important selection criteria is based on academic standing. Nominated students will get notified by the Student Awards Office at the Alberta post-secondary institution where they currently attend. Unfortunately, transfer students are not eligible for Louise McKinney Scholarship.
How to apply for Louise McKinney Scholarship
To apply, students are to fill out the application form and attach supporting documents (where necessary). Your application must then be submitted to the Student Awards Office at your educational institution.
Application form (PDF) or go from BearTracks (Financial Account > Awards and Financial Support > Apply for Awards).
Louise McKinney Post-secondary Scholarship Deadline
Applicants are advised to contact the Student Awards Office about the scholarship deadline dates and application process.
Usually, L.McKinney scholarship awards are disbursed between 2 to 3 months of the application closure. Incase you don’t get selected, don’t give up. There are tons of other opportunities waiting for you.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is Louise McKinney Scholarship GPA?
The required GPA for this scholarship is unspecific. However, it usually ranges between a 3.2 – 4.0 GPA depending on your faculty and it’s grading system.
When is Lousie McKinney Scholarship deadline?
Applicants should contact the Student Awards Office for closure date. It is advisable that students submit their applications before Fall.
Can transfer students apply?
No, but you can apply for Jason Lang scholarship.
How many times can I receive Louise McKinney Scholarship?
Maximum of 3 times.
How are co-op students assessed?
Co-op students will be assessed based on paired academic terms.
- If your GPA is not up to 3.2/4.0, (like 3.18) you can still be considered for the scholarship.
- Provide all supporting documents before submitting your application.
- Your Alberta Student Number (ASN) will come handy, make sure you know it.
- Ensure your school provides FOIP or PIPA collection notices as required.
- While filling your application, your school logo must be in a PDF or Vector format.
- Do not forget to insert your school name during your application.
- If you are a protected person, you must submit your Social Insurance Number card and a copy of either your Notice of Decision or Verification of Status Document (VOS).
More scholarships for you!
Alberta undergraduates with outstanding academic performances can leverage on the Louise McKinney Scholarship. Winning a $2,500 scholarship for college education is huge, even though the money might not fund your entire program.
However, it would give you more confidence, time to study and a dedicated road map to follow. When you worry less about financing, you have more time to plan for your future. Scholarship opportunities are stepping stones to greatness if only you get it right.
Stay updated on future Scholarship opportunities by subscribing to our newsletter and post notifications.