Newly admitted college students in South Africa are welcome to apply for the annual SASSETA Bursary program. This bursary awards more than a hundred students a fully-funded scholarship to study any of their approved courses in the university.
The application process for SASSETA Bursary is done online and students are expected to pass the eligibility criterion before proceeding their application. The SASSETA Scholarship is only available for South African Students (both full-time and part-time).
Keep reading to know how to apply for SASSETA Bursary, requirements, eligibility, award amount, and deadline. For non-South African Students, check out some recommended scholarship opportunities.
About SASSETA Bursary Program
The Safety and Security Sector Education and Training Authority (SASSETA) is a body established to facilitate education and training for the South African safety and security industry. The organization is aimed in ensuring South African youths get deserving education to impact positively in future.
The SASSETA organization was formed as a result of the merger between Private Security, Police, Legal and Correctional Services Sector Education and Training Authority (POSLEC SETA) and the Diplomacy, Intelligence, Defense and Trade Education and Training Authority (DIDTETA).
SASSETA continually ensure students are endowed with skills, leadership qualities in order to develop the society’s security and safety. The organization ensures that students are trained to become professionals in their field of study through apprenticeships, internships, skill programs, and learner ships.
Annually, 230 students get awarded the SASSETA bursary. However, applicants must choose any of the approved courses by SASSETA to benefit from the fully funded sponsorship.
Who can apply for this Bursary
SASSETA Bursary 2023 Online application is open to newly admitted college students of at least 18 years old in either a public or TVET university. This bursary is strictly for South African students in need of financial assistance to further their education.
Note: This bursary will give preferences to applicants who are female, disabled and do not have any other bursary funding.
SASSETA Bursary Approved Courses
Not all college courses are recognized by SASSETA. To get awarded this bursary, applicants must be enrolled or registered to study any of the listed approved courses:
- Clinical Social Work
- Paralegal Studies
- IT Related Programmes
- Security Management
- See catalog of more approved courses as listed in the National List of Occupations in High Demand 2020 (.PDF). A total of 345 high demanding occupations to select on the OIHD 2020 list.
SASSETA Bursary Eligibility
To become eligible for this bursary, you must fulfil the following conditions:
- Applicants must be at least 18 years old and must not exceed 35 years of age at the time of application.
- You must be a citizen of South Africa.
- Applicants must be newly matriculated.
- You must be unemployed at the time of application.
- Applicants must be enrolled or registered in any of the approved courses by SASSETA.
- You must be in need of financial assistance.
- The annual income of your household must not exceed, R600,000 p.a.
- Students at recognized and accredited public universities or TVET colleges in South Africa are eligible to apply.
- Private university students are eligible only if their course is not offered in a public university.
- Applicants must not be on any form of financial aid or participation in any other program funded by SASSETA for the current financial year.
Required Documents for Application
- Copy of your Identification Document (not older than 6 months).
- Original copy of your Matriculation or statements of results.
- Letter of enrollment or registration at a South African University for the 2023 academic year.
- A copy of your parent’s or guardian Identification Documents
- Document of annual household income. If parents are unemployed, an affidavit by parents declaring their employment status should be submitted.
SASSETA Bursary Benefits
Students selected for this bursary are entitled to receive the following:
- A sum of R80 000 to full-time enrolled students to cover tuition fees, accommodation (on or off-campus), books, feeding allowances. Scholars will renew this award each year for the duration of their study.
- R35 000 to be awarded to students studying a part-time or distance learning course annually for the duration of their study. This sum will cover tuition, textbooks, and college miscellaneous.
- SASSETA will provide electronic devices for students and limited data if the university does not provide.
- All payments will be made directly to the institution unless the recipient wants a refund.
Important note: recipients of this bursary are allowed to renew their award once each year on the condition that they pass at least 60% of all their syllabus, including the major courses. Read full SASSETA policy.
How to apply for SASSETA Bursary 2023
The application process for SASSETA Bursary is easy and straightforward.
- Download the application form.
- Properly fill out the application form, but provide valid information. Do not leave any question unanswered.
- Attach copies of the required documents as mentioned.
- Submit your application to [email protected] with the subject title ”SASSETA Bursary Application”.
Note: read the bursary’s terms and conditions before proceeding your application.
Applicants are selected based on financial needs, and academic performance alongside submitted documents. These are the major selection criterion for applicants. Ensure you submit all additional documents during your application.
SASSETA Bursary 2023 Closing Date
Application for this bursary ends on the 14 April 2023. All applicants must submit their applications before the stipulated deadlines. Include all additional documents and information to qualify your application for review and possible selection. Any application submitted after the deadline will be considered void.
The SASSETA Bursary response time usually takes 2 months after the application deadline. Expect feedback on your application on June 30. However, It could be longer in some cases due to the high volume of applications received. Students are advised to continually check their emails for feedback.
For further inquiries on your SASSETA Bursary application, use the following contact information.
Do not send questions after application closure.
Contact numbers: 011 087 5556 / 011 087 5555 / 011 087 5623
Email address: [email protected]
Now that you are here, check out some awesome scholarships for you!
SASSETA Bursary is an opportunity for struggling students to have a thrilling educational experience. It allows you to focus on your academics without worrying about your tuition fees and other college expenses. Every undergraduate student in South Africa should consider applying for this bursary.
Stay updated on future Scholarship opportunities by subscribing to our newsletter and post notifications.